Updated on September 12, 2019
Walt Disney World is one of the most popular destinations to celebrate New Year’s Eve. The crowds are intense, but there is no better place to ring in the new year. The celebrations across the parks and resorts are spectacular. Disney does not disappoint!!
Here are 10 simple tips that Guests should be aware of if you are visiting during this busy holiday season, especially if this will be your first time visiting Walt Disney World for New Year’s Eve!
Top 10 Tips for Celebrating New Year’s Eve at WDW:
- Regular admission is required to enter the parks — even if you have a dining reservation or special event reservation at a restaurant in the parks.
- Annual Passholder and Tables in Wonderland discounts will NOT be honored for special event meals at restaurants.
- Disney Dining Plans are accepted at many of the dining locations (but NOT for parties). Two table-service meals are required per person at most locations.
- Allow plenty of extra time for transportation, as parks are over the top busy on this day. I would recommend at least 2 hours to get to your destination (includes transportation and security to get into the parks).
- Speaking of security, the lines will be extra long, be prepared and have all of your bags open and ready for security to check. This will save you time! If you can go without any bags, that is even better! You can go through security check even faster.
- Be sure to stake out your spot EXTRA early (at least 2 hours before showtime) for the fireworks on New Year’s Eve at both Magic Kingdom and Epcot! The crowds will be intense, you will be shoulder to shoulder, so be prepared and be patient. Extra tip: The fireworks show at Magic Kingdom is the same on both Dec 30 and 31. Choose to see it on Dec 30 and head to another park on Dec 31. This will maximize your opportunity to see various New Year’s Eve festivities around the parks.
- Lines for all of the attractions (especially the popular ones) will be insanely long (hours long), be sure to prioritize your day – wait times will be long no matter what. You will not get to everything you planned, be prepared for that. Don’t forget that restroom lines will be long too! Make sure you factor that time into your day.
- With crowd levels at its peak, also be prepared for it to take longer to get from attraction to attraction or to your dining reservation, even within the park. Plan for that. Don’t assume it will only take a few minutes to get to to where you are going, even if it normally does on an average day.
- Animal Kingdom will join the other 3 parks this year and offer New Year’s Eve activities both during the day and night. It will be just as busy as the other parks. With ongoing construction and refurbishments at Epcot, many may make their way over to Animal Kingdom to check out the inaugural New Year’s Even fun! Keep this in mind as you plan your park day!
- And finally, HAVE FUN!!! This is the Happiest Place on Earth and you are in the BEST place to ring in the New Year – go in without expectations except to have a GREAT time! Smile, be happy, celebrate, make new friends and have a BLAST!