Updated on August 3, 2019
UPDATE: Disney has announced EXTRA EXTRA MAGIC HOURS to begin August 29 – November 2!! Click here for very IMPORTANT details and information.
Spanning 14 acres, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is the largest single-themed land expansion Disney has ever done. Entering through 1 of 2 separate entrance points in Hollywood Studios (there will be 3 separate entrances in Disneyland), Guests are transported to Black Spire Outpost, a village on the planet of Batuu and completely immersed in all of the action, just like stepping into a favorite Star Wars movie scene.
It was almost hard to keep up with all of the new reveals this week for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, opening this Summer in Disneyland and this Fall in Walt Disney World! Disney gave us another glimpse of what Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be like to visit. Let’s explore!
We already know about the 2 major attractions in this land. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, where you will find yourself in the middle of an epic battle between the Resistance and the First Order, and Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, which allows you and your flight crew to take the controls of the fastest ship in the galaxy on a special mission. Click here to see the trailers for both attractions!
We can already tell that Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be the feature attraction in Galaxy’s Edge. Similar to how Flight of Passage is in Pandora at Animal Kingdom. Walt Disney Imagineering is describing it as a cinematic immersive experience and one of the most complex things they’ve ever done. It will leave you asking how did they do that?!
INTERACTIVE – PLAY DISNEY
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is also the first land designed to integrate with the Play Disney Parks app, which debuted last summer, and offers interactive adventures and experiences that bring surrounding environments to life at Walt Disney World Resort. The app will provide new opportunities for guests to engage with the land, like translating a galactic language, learning what’s hidden inside crates and containers, or accomplishing certain tasks by participating in missions. Guests also can use the app to interact with a variety of elements, like antenna arrays, door panels, drinking fountains, droids, media screens, and ships.
And be sure to come hungry!! There are several yummy eateries opening in the land. Let’s break it down:
- Oga’s Cantina – We heard about this several months ago and know that this will be a great place to grab a beverage, catch up on the latest gossip while R-3X, formerly the Starspeeder pilot on the original Star Tours, DJ’s a collection of new music.
- Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo – Chef Strono “Cookie” Tuggs has traveled throughout the galaxy following his longtime gig as the chef at Maz Kanata’s castle on Takodana and brings exotic flavors and unusual dishes to his traveling diner “Tuggs’ Grub.” For complete details on this dining option, click here!
- Ronto Roasters – A recycled podracing engine fires up a spit of exotic meats, meticulously turned by a former smelter droid, 8D-J8. Guests can even sample some of the tasty Ronto fare.
- Milk Stand – The place to get your two local favorites: blue milk, first seen in Star Wars: A New Hope, and green milk, introduced in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Both the Blue Milk and the Green Milk feature a plant-based blend of coconut and rice milks and can even be ordered with alcohol (exclusive to Walt Disney World Resort). Sip on a Blue Milk Cooler with rum or a Green Milk Cooler with tequila! And don’t forget to order your Bubo Wumba Family Farms souvenir drink vessel.
- Kat Saka’s Kettle – One of the many street market stalls, this grain vendor sells the ever-popular Outpost Mix (sweet and salty popcorn snack with a hint of spice).
For a complete FOODIE GUIDE for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, click here. I break it all down in full detail!
Want to do some shopping? There is no shortage of places to buy your favorite galactic merchandise! Note that you will not find generic Star Wars merchandise in Galaxy’s Edge.
- Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities – For those in the know, Dok-Ondar is the Ithorian you seek for selling and buying rare and uniquely-valued items from across the galaxy and spanning all eras.
- Savi’s Workshop – Build Your Own Lightsabers –Guests come to the workshop to meet with the Gatherers – a secretive group of people who have dedicated their lives to restoring balance in the galaxy by passing on their knowledge of Jedi lore and the Force. The workshop Master guides guests to customize and build their own unique lightsabers, and instructs them on the ways of the Jedi.
- Droid Depot – Visitors to Mubo’s workshop can choose parts and construct their own individual astromech droids to accompany them on their journey, and then take them home with them.
- First Order Cargo – A spaceport hangar bay serves as the temporary base and landing spot for the First Order. First Order officers have brought in crates of gear, uniforms and other supplies to win the hearts and minds of locals and visitors to Black Spire Outpost.
- Resistance Supply – Resistance members and local sympathizers oversee a makeshift stall that supplies Resistance uniforms, pins, badges, hats, helmets, jackets, maps, tools, training supplies, food rations and other items.
There are also several market stalls which sell a variety of merchandise such as:
- Toydarian Toymaker (toys)
- Creature Stall (interesting critters that you can take home with you)
- Black Spire Outfitters (clothing)
- The Jewels of Bith (accessories and other trinkets to treasure)
The costumes were also revealed this week showcasing how Cast Members will be dressed throughout Galaxy’s Edge. There was a lot of thought and attention put into the designs and ensuring the costumes can weather all conditions. Here’s some of what you’ll see:
Join the Resistance
Resistance costumes are rugged, military-inspired uniforms, with a soft, well-used feel. Vests and jackets feature patch details inspired by communicators worn in the films, and there is an optional hat to protect from the elements.
The First Order
This costume is a powerful, charcoal grey military-style uniform with structured shoulders taken directly from the looks seen on screen. In stark contrast to the other costumes seen on the planet of Batuu, First Order costumes are pristine, polished and orderly.
Black Spire Outpost Villagers
The village costume collection is comprised of multiple shirts, bottoms and vests for tons of mix and match options to suit preference and personality. There is also a suite of accessories including scarves, necklaces, hats and a versatile pouch to further customize their look
John Williams is also creating an all-new and original Star Wars Theme exclusively for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Here’s a sneak peek!!
I will admit wholeheartedly, I am not the biggest Star Wars fan (I’m more a Marvel girl), BUT that does not mean I am not jumping out of my seat in excitement and anticipation for this new land! How can you not be excited for what’s to come with everything we have seen so far? It’s unprecedented, and no better time to be a Disney and a Star Wars fan. For me it’s about the imagineering, the technology, the creativity and being fully and completely immersed in a story. There is NO ONE one earth that does that better than Disney, and I think this land is going to be like none other! I am completely certain it will blow our minds! And I can’t wait to see what more is revealed!
Stay tuned to adisneystateofmind.com for more details!