Disney announced that we will soon be using a whole new tool to plan our days at the parks. Coming this Fall, Disney will launch the all-new Disney Genie Service for both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. This concept was introduced to us back in 2019 at the D23 Expo from Bob Iger. Since then, the Disney Community has been waiting to hear more. Well, today is that day.
Disney Genie Service is a complimentary and convenient new digital service designed to create your best Disney day.
Say goodbye to FastPass, FastPass+ and MaxPass! They will officially be retired at Walt Disney World and Disneyland! RIP old friends!
We have seen a few iterations of FastPass since its inception. First introduced in 1999, FastPass began as paper tickets that had a return window for attractions at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Disney World added FastPass+ and the ability to select attractions and return windows through the My Disney Experience app in 2013. Attractions were also eventually tiered, limiting what you could pre-select when making advance reservations. Disneyland added MaxPass in 2017 allowing Guests to reserve FastPass times without going to the ride and obtaining a paper ticket, offering instead the convenience of scheduling attractions in the Disneyland app.
So we’ve seen some changes along the way. And we now embark on yet another. Could this be the biggest one yet? That remains to be seen. But without a doubt, it’s a BIG change!
Disney Genie Service
Genie (the FREE planning tool)
Here is what Disney Genie promises:
Built right into the My Disney Experience and Disneyland apps, the Disney Genie service promises to maximize your park time, so you can have more fun. It includes a personalized itinerary feature that will quickly and seamlessly map out an entire day. From specific attractions, foodie experiences and entertainment, to general interests like Disney Princesses, Villains, Pixar, Star Wars, thrill rides and more – just tell Disney Genie what you want to do and it will do the planning for you.
Here are a few more features:
- Get Itinerary Updates from Morning to Night: Disney Genie will continue to update your itinerary throughout your day, so you can be more spontaneous and go with the flow.
- Find Your Favorites at a Glance: Create your very own personal tip board to instantly see your favorites. It will display current AND forecasted future wait times, helping you predict when you might experience quicker entry to attractions.
- Enjoy More Flexibility and Fun: Disney Genie brings existing planning features together in one place.
- Join a virtual queue at certain attractions
- Make dining and experience reservations
- Mobile order food at many locations
- Get help from a virtual assistant
- And so much more…..
All of what was just shared is complimentary and free to all Guests visiting Walt Disney World and Disneyland.
But, for those that may want to experience premier attractions without the wait, there are a few options for you!
- Genie +
- A la carte purchases for top tier attractions
Each of these options use the Lightening Lane queue to access the attraction. Let’s dig a little deeper into how this works.
Genie+ and Individual Attraction Selections
Disney Genie+ service is a paid feature that allows you to skip the line and reserve access to select attractions via a new Lightening Lane entrance.
How can I purchase Genie+?
Guests can purchase Disney Genie+ for a flat fee:
- $15 per day/per Guest at Walt Disney World
- $20 per day/per Guest at Disneyland
Guests will enjoy the benefit of choosing the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the Lightning Lane entrance. You can make one selection at a time, throughout the day on select attractions like Haunted Mansion or Big Thunder Mountain and newer favorites like Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (attractions subject to limited availability). This convenient option is the next evolution of the fan-favorite Disney MaxPass service from Disneyland Resort. You’ll also receive exclusive “AR” filters at Walt Disney World and PhotoPass downloads at Disneyland (not WDW).
How can I purchase a la carte attractions?
- Individual attraction selections (available for purchase) provide Lightening Lane access for popular, big ticket rides like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom Park and Radiator Springs Racers at Disney California Adventure park (subject to limited availability; attractions not included with Disney Genie+) will be available a la carte with a limit of 2 per person per day. Pricing will vary by date and attraction. More to come as it gets closer to launch.
Will traditional stand-by lines still be available?
Yes, traditional stand-by or virtual queues (like what is used to ride Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure) will still be available on all attractions. You do not need to purchase Genie+ to ride the attractions.
Are Genie+ selections made ahead of time like FastPass+?
All Genie+ selections are made on the SAME DAY of your visit, and can be made across multiple parks! You no longer will or can book months in advance like FastPass+. This allows for complete spontaneity and is great for those who love to park hop!!
When can selections be made?
Selections can be made beginning at 7am on the day of your visit to the park, if staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel. All other Guests can make their first selection after entering the park.
At Disneyland, all Guests can reserve attractions after they enter the park.
Disability Access Service (DAS) Updates
Disney is also making enhancements to our Disability Access Service (DAS) program, including new options to enroll in the program pre-arrival and for DAS participants to select attractions directly in the app. These options will be available in addition to our existing, in-person DAS program. Visit our Services for Guests with Disabilities page DisneyWorld.com and Disneyland.com for more details.
Don’t miss any of the latest Disney news! Sign up today and receive my weekly newsletter sharing tips, tricks and all the latest straight from the Most Magical Place on Earth!