We all love visiting Walt Disney World and it seems we can’t ever get enough. But what happens when you return home? What happens when all you have left is the countdown until your next visit? How do you create the magic in your life or in your home until the next trip? The possibilities are endless!
I personally love to cook, so one of my favorite things to do is recreate recipes from my favorite meals at Walt Disney World. One of my favorite recipes (and a rather easy one) is the Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup from Le Cellier in the World Showcase at Epcot.
The first time I tried this soup was during the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival about a decade ago, and the creamy cheesy decadence had me hooked!
I recently made this recipe and thought I would share it with you! Pair the soup with a cold Canadian Molson beer and ketchup chips (a fan favorite in Canada – you can find ketchup chips on Amazon). Next time you need some extra Disney magic, give it a try!
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
Yield: 6 servings
1/4 lb. smoked bacon finely chopped
1 medium red onion cut into 1/4 in. pieces
1/2 cup finely sliced celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
3 TB all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
2 cups chicken stock
12 oz. grated white cheddar, Canadian Black Diamond
3 dashes Tabasco
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Moosehead Canadian Ale, room temperature
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp thinly sliced chives or scallions
1. Cook the bacon in a large heavy-bottomed, non-reactive soup pot over medium heat until wilted but not browned.
2. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook until the onion is translucent and bacon has crisped.
3. Sprinkle in flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and stock, a little at a time, blending well to ensure there are no lumps. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, Tabasco, Worcestershire and ale. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Top with chopped chives or scallions.